17% of cardiac surgeons are women, 17% of tenured professors are women. It just goes on and on. And isn’t that strange that that’s also the percentage of women in crowd scenes in movies? What if we’re actually training people to see that ratio as normal so that when you’re an adult, you don’t notice?
…We just heard a fascinating and disturbing study where they looked at the ratio of men and women in groups. And they found that if there’s 17% women, the men in the group think it’s 50-50. And if there’s 33% women, the men perceive that as there being more women in the room than men."
Source: NPR: Hollywood Needs More Women
Seriously, go listen to this.
things ppl say that alerts you to them being the actual worst:
john was my favourite beatle
- abolishing religion would solve a lot of problems
- i’m not a racist i hate all races equally
- disliking someone because of their political affiliation is ridiculous
- but if you think about it stereotypes do exist for a reason
- god, can you believe people on welfare own iphones
- but what about mens rights
- why can’t white people say the n-word
- i’m just being the devils advocate